Association Education without Backpacks aims to assist the modernization of Bulgarian education and the generation of alternative educational and cultural resources in Bulgarian. Currently, the organization’s main project is the translation, popularization, and real-life application in Bulgaria of the largest online portal for education in the world: Khan Academy (https://bg.khanacademy.org/). Our future plans include the localization of the Duo Lingo and Coursera platforms.
Khan Academy is a free education platform which offers over 8,000 video lessons and 100,000 interactive exercises in mathematics, the sciences, computing and other subjects.To date, over 40 million people around the world use Khan Academy. Its lessons cover topics from primary school, secondary school, and graduate school preparatory modules, as well as a myriad of general knowledge topics, including lectures from partners such as NASA, MIT, MoMA, and many others.
You will proofread mainly from English into Bulgarian. You will work with a team of translators and proofreaders on the localization of educational content in mathematics and programming, and you will have to meet our projects deadlines for delivery.
– With in-depth knowledge of the English language, perform proofreading of written texts from English into Bulgarian in mathematics and/or p rogramming with attention to facts, target audiences and nuance, so that the intent and tone of the original meaning is preserved;
– Proofread a variety of materials using localization platforms/software;
– Standardize, proofread, revise and finalize translated materials prepared by other translators, editors, employees, etc.;
– Research, systematize and report cases which occurred in the process of translation (by you or other translators), and communicate them with other translators, proofreaders, experts and partners.
– Develop further standards regarding clarity, conciseness, style and terminology;
– Prepare project reports and documentation;
– Research specific phraseology pertinent to the assigned projects;
– Consult with experts in specialist areas; retain and develop specialist knowledge on specific areas of translation;
– Communicate at different levels with international, national and regional organisations, experts in different areas, educators in different subjects etc.
Education, skills and experience
– Bachelor’s or higher degree in English or related, and fluent Bulgarian native tongue.
– Excellent language skills, both in English and Bulgarian;
– Knowledge and experience in how to find and identify essential information for different desk research goals, how to structure or classify it in a systematic way;
– An active learner with proven ability to work with new material or information and to grasp its implications;
– Experience in content inspection and quality evaluation of the finalized content (QA);
– Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google applications as well as related tools;
– At least one year experience as a proofreader; demonstration of high quality edits in diverse areas is a plus;
– Experience in specialized translations and with CAT tools is an advantage.
– Fluency and experience in English, see above (Bulgarian as a mother tongue).
– Organizational skills;
– Critical thinking skills;
– Strong innovative problem-solving skills;
– Perfect written and oral communication skills;
– Ability to stick to deadlines;
– Proactive working style.
– work in a friendly team with international experience;
– opportunities for professional growth and variety in work;
– exchange of experience with foreign partners;
– realization of own ideas in the process of localisation;
– contribution to a cause – modernization of the Bulgarian education;
Please send your CV and motivation letter by 15th of December 2017 to educationwithoutbackpacks @gmail.com.
Preferred specific fields: Mathematics & Statistics and/or IT (Information Technology)
Required native language: Bulgarian
Quoting deadline: Dec 15, 2017
Delivery deadline: May 3, 2018
Additional requirements: At least 1 year experience. Preffered fields of experience – mathematics and/or programming.