Education Without Backpacks Association – Bulgarian name: Образование без раници/ Obrazovanie bez ranitsi – Acronym: ObR
ObR was founded in 2015 by a Teach for Bulgaria alumnus – Ivan Gospodinov (more about him below), before that existing as a huge movement of active people engaging for free educational online resources for any kid. Our mission is to support modernization of education, particularly through digitalization and digital educational platforms and resources. One of our focuses is the localization and adoption in Bulgaria of Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org), the largest free online portal for (mainly) school education in the world, with the mission: free world-class education for anyone, anywhere. We are also one of very few leading organizations in Bulgaria which support, train, consult Bulgarian schools, teachers, regional education administration and the Ministry of Education in the introduction of various free, world-established and renowned digital tools for teaching, learning, classroom management; in developing digital and media skills, transferring good and innovative practices from other countries and educational systems.
Khan Academy is a free education platform which offers more than 10,000 video lessons and 100,000 interactive exercises in mathematics and all other STEM subjects, but also humanities as well as other topics. To date, about 90 million people around the world use Khan Academy in more than 40 languages (original is English). Its lessons cover topics from kindergarten, primary, secondary and graduate school, as well as a myriad of further topics, including economics, careers or lectures from NASA, MIT, MoMA and many others.
The focus of ObR’s work is in Bulgaria but we work within the international network of Khan Academy (more than 40 partners around the globe) as well as cooperate with various other partners nationally and internationally.
Our Trainings and Consulting Services for Distance and Online-Based Education
- Consultations for principals and educational administrators for introduction of distance teaching practices – individual assistance for your school by our expert team.
- Two-Day Online Trainings on tools for digital teaching, with emphasis on free online tools and resources – 16 hours in total, incl. modules with practical work.
Topics which may be covered
- Digital learning management systems, focusing on the most established ones like Google Classroom, G Suite for Education; MS Teams; opportunities with Khan Academy
- Collaboration platforms, live-video communication
- Learning content platforms
- Mobile phone apps for teaching/learning
- Offline functionalities of digital education tools
- Creating digital learning content
- How to organize an online class – planning, steps, difficulties
- Remote monitoring of students’ work through automated feedback
- Working online with students with special needs
- Growth mindset with platforms like Khan Academy
- Working with parents to support distance/ online-based learning
- Practices from around the world
- And more, tailored to specific needs
Our leading educational expert and main trainer: Ivan Gospodinov
- Founder and Chair of Education Without Backpacks Association,
initiator of the localization of Khan Academy in Bulgarian
- Teach for Bulgaria Alumnus
- MSc in Educational Sciences, University of Edinburgh;
BSc in Social Sciences and Philosophy, University of Leipzig
- PhD candidate, Philosophy of Education, Catholic University of Eichstaett-Ingolstadt
- Consultant of the Bulgarian Ministry of Education on digital practices in Bulgarian schools
- Teacher in German language and Philosophy
- Vice-principal at the Private Professional High School of Digital Sciences “SoftUni Svetlina”, Sofia
- Winner of the ICT Media Education Innovation Award in Bulgaria
- Fellow of Forbes Bulgaria’s “30 Under 30” 2016
- Author of various publications in the field of educational policies, digital education and literacy.